Here are some pictures
Here's the finished desk in it's collapsed portable form. It was awesome because a lot of the measurements we did were based on guesses and it worked out perfectly!
We actually had to completely improvise the legs in the back that lock into the dowels, and it turned out to be the most sturdy part of the whole thing. But cutting that hole....was a pain....
The light fixture was really hard to find for cheap. I had just so happened to bring this gooseneck clip-on lamp with me and we decided to give see how well it would work as a backlight and:
Now, here's some technical stuff:
This is the blueprint we used to build it (found at the Hand-Drawn Animation Equipment blog)
One thing I wished it had come with when I was out buying stuff was an actual supply list to build that thing. So, here's what we needed.
24 x 48 (3/4 in. thick) piece of Aspen
From which we cut:
- 1 24 x 34.5 in. sheet (for the desktop [A])
- 2 9 x 1.5 in. pieces (for the part that you put the dowels in that the back legs rest on [D])
- 2 21.75 x 2 in. pieces (for the sides of the bottom structure [C])
From which we cut:
- 2 15.5 x 1.5 in. pieces (for the back legs [B])
- 1 32.5 x 1.5 in. piece (for the bottom part of the back legs that rests on the dowels [E])
- 2 34.5 x 2 in. pieces (for the front and back of the bottom structure [F])
2 1.5 in. hinges
2 3 in. hinges
4 corner braces
4 regular braces
Tools, and such
That's it, really.
All of the parts cost me $50 in total. As opposed to buying one for $300-$500. The most expensive thing I had to buy was the disk which was $102 (which includes shipping).
The Hardest part, obviously, was cutting the 16.5 in. hole in the desktop. We actually cut it a little too big (...and lumpy...), but the disk fits and spins well. It just has a bit of wiggle room.
Till next time,